Game Story by Ronny Musikitele

HAMILTON, ON- On Saturday evening At the David Braley Athletic Centre in Hamilton, the Humber Hawks squared off against the Mohawk Mountaineers. Leticia Lopez was brilliant, scoring a career high 28 points, carrying the Hawks to a 80-64 win on the road.

The game was initially scheduled for Friday October 26th. However, due to do numerous injuries on the Mountaineers the game was postponed. The rescheduling of the game was not ideal for the Hawks. This stretch marks their third game in seven days. Evidently, fatigue started to show.

In the first quarter, the exhaustion from Hawks was clear. The Mountaineers jumped out to a 12-3 run in the first three minutes of the ball game. Turnovers was an early issue for the Hawks, preventing them from building any kind of rhythm. With things going wrong early, the Hawks had every reason to fold under pressure. Knowing the team was in need of leadership and someone to bring them up with positivity, Leticia Lopez stepped up. The net appeared to be an ocean for her, as she made it rain from downtown. She ended the game shooting 7 out of 14 from beyond the three-point arc. 

"I didn't do my routine today, I felt off. I was really tired. But I knew it was mental. I felt like if I could bring some positivity it will influence the whole team. So I just stayed in check. It wasn't about getting a career high, it was just making the next shot, that's all I focused on" says Lopez. 

Lopez catching fire early, helped the Hawks trim the lead to only two, heading into the second quarter, down 17-15. Miea Campbell-Johnson joined Lopez shooting party, and also got hot. Campbell-Johnson, began knocking down tough jumpers and coming up big on the glass. She finished the game with 19 points and 10 rebounds. The Hawks rebounding advantage and Lopez hot shooting, helped them go into halftime with a 37-31 lead. Humber out rebounded the Mountaineers 31-21 at halftime. Lopez finished the first half with 16 points.

In the second half, the entire gym panicked as Jahnae Gyles took a hard fall to the ground. She fell with her head first going for a loose ball. Thankfully, she managed to get up a few minutes later and came back into the game. Talk about heart. This propelled the Hawks to take their first double digit lead with 6:00 minutes remaining in the third quarter. The Hawks never looked back and led the rest of the way. Lopez hot-shooting continued in the fourth quarter, as the opposing fans even began cheering for her. There was simply no answer for her. 

This puts the Hawks winning streak to 4 games. They will look to keep their streak alive as they will travel to Kitchener to face the Conestoga Condors next Wednesday.