ETOBICOKE – Humber softball returns to the diamond September 8 to open the 2019 season at Mohawk. First pitch is scheduled for noon.
- The Hawks finished with a program record 17 regular season wins.
- Elisa Gregoris put on an offensive showcase, recording a program-high 37 hits while establishing a new OCAA record with 37 RBI.
- Aaliyah Davidson scored a program record 32 runs, while Myranda Pierson's 1.54 earned run average was also a program record.
At the Helm
Head coach Duaine Bowles returns for his fourth season and led the team to a 17-win season in 2018. Jaime Vieira and K.J. Uyeno return for another season as assistant coaches. Five-year baseball standout Brandon Costa will join the coaching staff for the '19 campaign.
With the departure of five graduating starters from last season, Coach Bowles will rely on the leadership of fifth-year infielder Meaghan Murphy to help Humber softball return to its championship form in the postseason. Murphy enters the season fourth all-time on Humber's hit list with 86. Shortstop Alexa Vassos will be entering her third season and finished the '18 campaign with a career-high .912 OPS. Second-year infielder Alexis Ferreira should see a bump in playing time after finishing her rookie season with a .417 batting average.
Coach Bowles added two-way player Presly Buchanan for the 2019 season. The P/OF played two seasons with Wayne State (NCAA D2). In 2018, she finished with a 2-0 record and 2.06 ERA while finishing third on the team with a .341 (15-for-44) batting average.
Buchanan will join a staff that finished second in the league in team ERA but lacked swing-and-miss stuff. The Hawks finished fourth with 89 strikeouts in 158 innings pitched.
- Humber softball will begin the '19 campaign on the road at Mohawk on September 9.
- The Hawks will return to Connorvale Park for a six-game homestand, beginning with their home opener on September 10 against Conestoga.
- October 24 will be Humber softball's annual #HereToPlay game.
- Seniors night will be on October 8 against the Seneca Sting.
- Humber's exhibition schedule:
- Toronto Early Bird Tournament Aug. 31: U of T 9 a.m., Seneca 1 p.m., Ryerson 7 p.m.
- Labour Day Series Sept. 2: Conestoga 10 a.m., Western 12 p.m.
All Humber home games will be streamed live on the Hawks Sports Network. Follow @HumberHawks on social media to stay up-to-date on Humber softball.